Monday, October 31, 2011

Tart-Sweet Apple Crisp


When the air gets crisp, so does dessert. This has always been my favorite apple crisp recipe. It's my mom's...maybe that's why? It's the one I grew up on. The best part for me though...other than the fact that it doesn't involve oats, not that I have anything against oats, I just don't like them on my crisps and cobblers...is that the topping is sweet and the filling is just tart and cinnamon-y. There is no sugar in the filling so it's just the perfect complement to the topping...and the most perfect experience for your tastebuds.



Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter slightly softened
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 2  cups sugar
  • 5 lbs (before peeling and coring) baking apples. I like to use a couple different varieties to enhance the flavor and texture.
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup water
Directions:
    1. preheat oven to 350°     
    2. generously butter bottom and sides of 9x13 pan.
    3. In a medium bowl, cut together flour, butter, and sugar using a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Set aside.
    4. core peel and slice apples 
    5. put the apples evenly into the buttered pan
    6. sprinkle with salt and cinnamon toss with hands to coat evenly
    7. pour the water over the apples in the pan
    8. spread butter-flour-sugar mixture evenly over the apples.
    9. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is golden and apples are fully cooked and bubbling.
Cool slightly but serve warm on pretty plates with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

    No comments: