Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sloppy Joes

I got the basis for this recipe from my friend Sue. Who will never admit it, but she's an AMAZING cook.

When I realized I usually made this for parties and large groups, I just decided to two-and-a-half it on the recipe so it would be easier. This will make 25 -30 sandwiches.

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 large onions chopped fine (I like to use the food processer for this step)
  • 6-8 cloves garlic minced
  • 5 lbs ground beef or pork or a combination of the two 
  • 1 44 oz. bottle of Heinz ketchup
  • 1/4 cup mustard (I like to use spicy mustard)
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions:
In a large pot, heat a little bit of vegetable oil over medium high , add the onions and garlic and cook until tender. Add the ground beef. Drain any liquid from the pan if there is any. Add remaining ingredients and cook for at least 1-2 hours before serving. You can transfer this to a crock pot for the party!
  • Buns
Serve on round buns like sesame seed hamburger buns*

I love to serve this with my homemade coleslaw and kettle cooked salt and vinegar potato chips

*I originally used this recipe to teach to my cooking class for adults when we were living in Poland. I loved teaching them these all-American types of foods and I think they loved learning them even more. They would often ask me to teach a recipe for foods that they saw on "Friends" or a Hollywood movie and they were curious about it. I loved this little instruction on the buns (something so obvious to us Americans). It reminds me of all the friends we made doing that class in Krakow.



No comments: