Wednesday, October 26, 2011

B's Chili (Traditional)



This is my own chili recipe. After years and years of makin' chili and lovin' it and quite frankly, wingin' it... I was going to teach it at my cooking class in Poland.  I realized I didn't have anything really written down so I needed to gather my thoughts and decide once and for all "if I were going to make [and teach] the perfect pot of chili... what would I want in it? and what would the measurements be? What am I gonna tell these people?!!" ...and this is what I came up with...and they loved it! ...and now I don't have to 'wing it' anymore.


Ingredients and Directions:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 ½ cups chopped onion
  • 6-8 cloves garlic

1. heat vegetable oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat.
2. add garlic and onions. cook until tender.
3. add ground beef and cook until meat is no longer pink 

  • 2 large(28 oz each) cans diced/or crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 2-3 cans spicy chili beans in chili sauce
  • 2 cans kidney beans drained
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 jalapenos seeded and chopped (or more to taste)
  • 2 + cups tomato juice(like V8 or Campbell's)if you like your chili nice and spicy this is another ingredient you can use to heat it up by getting the hot and spicy tomato juice 

4. Reduce heat. Stir in tomatoes, chili beans, and kidney beans.
5. Season with salt, sugar, chili powder, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper. Stir and simmer.
6. Add chili peppers and tomato juice(more or less depending on how thick or thin you like your chili). Simmer for 1 ½ hours stirring often. Be sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.

Serve with:
  • shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • sour cream
  • chopped green onions
  • tortilla chips or Fritos scoops for dipping









No comments: