Thursday, July 26, 2012

Famous Chopped Chicken Salad


This is a salad they serve at an Italian restaurant at the Mall of America called Tucci Benucch. It has been one of Quenton's and my favorite restaurants since we were dating...17 years ago! We've gone for Valentine's Day in recent years. Q always orders this salad. I usually order a pasta dish and then we share both. It's so good, I've been making it at home for years. I'm always trying to perfect the dressing or find one at the store that tastes like the mustard vinaigrette that they use. I'm sure I will keep tweaking it and editing this post accordingly until it's perfect! For now, this is as close to the real deal as I've gotten at home just a little less romantic.
Ingredients:
Salad:
mixture of hearty lettuces such as: Iceberg, radiccio, romaine, and/or leaf lettuces
diced tomatoes
chopped scallions
crumbled crispy cooked bacon
gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbled
1/4 lb. tubetti pasta (optional)
cooked chicken chopped

Dressing:
MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
1 1/2 teaspoons Colman's dry mustard
1/4 cup sugar
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons red wine and
1/3 cup champagne vinegar
1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
dash crushed red chilies
black pepper to taste
1/2 cup corn oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil


Directions:
1. For the chicken you can use leftover roasted chicken or you can grill up chicken breasts or cook them in the oven or on the stove top. whatever your preference.
2. cook the bacon set aside to cool.
3. cook the pasta according to package instructions (if using) and set aside to cool. on the menu at Tucci it's called Tubetti but I found the pasta at Super Target and it is called "Ditalini"
4. Assemble the salad ingredients
5. for the dressing: put all of the ingredients in the blender except the oils. blend first then add the oil in a steady stream while the blender is running.
6. Pour over the salad and toss.

Serve with crusty Italian bread or a vegetarian soup such as Parmesan Corn Chowder

7 comments:

Curtmadime said...

delicious!! I made the dressing but didnt have the champagne vinegar. So I used white vinegar and it still tasted great!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for posting this. This salad is my favorite, we haven't been back to Minneapolis for years, but when we do we head right over to the mall for this salad. I'm going to make it tomorrow, thanks to you. Be blessed and enjoy the holidays!

Julie

Bethany said...

Oh I'm so happy!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this dish and I too have been copying it, but never attempted the dressing, thanks for the ingredients!!

Anonymous said...

One sure way to get my grown daughter to come over....her favorite salad. Tucci closed but this salad will always live on. Spot on with the recipe. Thank you💗

TWICK said...

I’ve made the salad so many times and thought I should let you know it’s one of our favorites! Tastes exactly like the original. We live in a suburb of Minneapolis and can no longer gets the Tucci original because they closed several years ago. Twin City Grill is just about the same though. Much more cost effective to make it at home.

Anonymous said...

Is the red wine in the dressing actually red wine or red wine vinegar? Thank you.