Monday, November 28, 2011

Parmesan Corn Chowder


It's that time of year...when I want to make soup every night. It's so comforting. I love to cook it. It is as relaxing to me to cook it as it is to eat it. The ease of one big pot of soup, some bread and a simple salad and the meal is complete. That always makes me happy on a busy weeknight. I started making this one 15 years ago when Q and I were first married and it's been a regular favorite every year since. I remember when we were living in Ukraine, in '03 and '04, Eden was 4 years old and she loved this soup and she even started calling herself "soup girl". I can't make this soup now without remembering that and smiling. Then again, she's 12 now, and when I realize how fast the time has gone I can't help but cry. So, tonight I was smiling and crying and making this favorite soup. If you try it, maybe it will become a favorite of yours too.


adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Best Loved Community Recipes
Ingredients:
  • 3-4 cups cubed peeled potato
  • 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 can Green Giant cream-style corn
  • 1 can Green Giant (not reduced sodium) whole kernel corn drained
Directions:
1. In a large Dutch oven, stir together 2 cups water, the potato, carrot, celery, onion and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour. Add the milk and cream all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
3. Add the cheese, stirring unto vegetable mixture. Stir in the til it is melted. Carefully add the cheese mixture corn. Heat the soup through, stirring occasionally. Do not boil.




2 comments:

Dawn said...

making it this week!!!

Anonymous said...

We had a great time with you this weekend and I had more than my share of this DELICIOUS Corn Chowder. Love you . . . DAD